Monday, January 15, 2007

AIRE 2007

I have attached photos from the scenes in performance at our winter retreat. My ability to take photos was limited so am hoping that my colleagues also snapped some good ones.

I must say that I was not only pleased with the actors' work but found the material very rewarding. Included were a good range of classics, European realism and a variety of both Canadian & American contemporary plays. Given that this year's retreatants included our largest contingent of Canadian actors and our faculty now includes Canadian instructor, David Smukler, I think it important the variety of material was present. Thanks to Ian Farthing for all of the Canadian material.

This year's event was, for me, more cohesive, deeper in discovery and more clearly focused. I set simple goals for myself as both an administrator and instructor so, if and when problems arose, it was so much easier to make decisions. I knew the faculty was supporting each other and being extremely flexible with our curriculum so that we could listen to the needs of the group and make adjustments. The addition of Voice to the retreat was crucial and created the possibility for actors to deepen their work in new ways.

Being that this event is a dream come true for me, this year's dreams were realized in far more tangible ways.

I couldn't be more thrilled.

--ML

No comments: