Monday, December 11, 2006

beacons & boots: mentors & educators

This is from a letter I recently sent to the teachers who influence me the most. One cannot receive the letter, for he is gone from earth, so I think I'm posting this so others will know he is not forgotten and, here at this site, so that retreatants know why I do what I do and why this event is such a dream come true for me.

ML

**************
I am writing to some of you who have been mentors/educators in my life. I feel it’s important to be grateful. Right now, before the biggest educational event I produce each year and I am somewhat frustrated by the administration of it, I feel it’s especially important to be grateful. While a group letter, albeit a short list, might seem impersonal, please know that I have envisioned each of you quite uniquely and specifically as I have crafted these words.

Recently, while visiting friends on Orcas Island and again while teaching in Vancouver BC, people were calling me a mentor and that kept surprising me because, in my history, such giants walk in those shoes. But I then realized that I had not assumed the best: that I had gleaned from my mentors, especially once some of those lights in my life were extinguished, how to be that kind of a presence in the lives of others because I had such beacons in my own life to light my pathway to creative success. Naturally, I wanted to reach out and tell you that and, apparently, mix my metaphors in doing so! Footsteps and lights, sheez, they wound their way together finally but, it’s proof that one metaphor cannot contain all I have learned. On an ongoing basis, both the educational and personal challenges extended to me during my formative training years, sustain me and enable me to do my work today: as an actor (now that I’m back onstage again after a hiatus), director, teacher and playwright. I am so grateful, perpetually, so grateful.

I recently returned from performing in an international arts festival in Tbilisi, Rep of Georgia. What I did not know before I went there!! They have a theatre tradition that is nearly as old as the Greeks and so much more. Anyway, I learned so much and feel so …. expanded by the experience that, as heebie jeebie as it sounds, I feel changed on a cellular level as an artist. I journaled much about it (& you may have received that letter) but, for now, have enclosed an article which came out for the closing of the festival.

The article said:
Accomplished actors also shared their experiences with young Georgian actors. Several master classes were given by Molly Lyons (USA) in Shota Rustaveli State University of Cinema and Theatre. “I especially liked Molly’s classes,” said participant Eto Maglakelidze. “She made simple and familiar acts, something I used to do on my first year, look different, deeper, more exciting. She showed how many different layers of emotions flow into one another and how the interpretation of a single movement can be endless. Also, Molly ... [was] very encouraging. It was a great learning experience for me, a touch of international professionalism.”

I met so many fascinating artists in Tbilisi but my favorite was a female director from Azerbaijan who, in talking to me about my work, said that I was, for her, the “most free” actress in the festival. She said that it was because not only did I have God-given gifts but excellent “plastique” which I finally figured out was the translation from Russian into English for “technique” because she said: “your voice, your movement, the way you use text, everything is integrated through your natural ability to respond so passionately – to cry, to smile with real joy, to look inside and draw from your soul whatever colors are there.” Then, she said, “Where did you go to school, where did you study? You write to them and tell them that I say you are the most free actress here because of these things. Excellent, excellent training; beautiful, beautiful soul.” So, I am following her imperative. She said more which I have written in the “review” of the festival I sent out but these words, from both reviews above, are really for you. For Bill James, Frank Caltabiano, Libby Appel, Bob Benedetti and more, all of whom helped form me and for those of you with whom I study now, Rob O’Neill, Steve Scott, Ted Hoerl and my students, all of whom help keep me “free” and neither complacent nor stagnant.

Finally, I hope you know the great contribution inspired teachers make to their hungry students and enlightened mentors make to their eager protégés. For me and my “plastique”, you took some raw talent combined with great desire, added a whole trunkful of tools and molded all that together into the form that now enables me to do all which gives me such joy and … freedom. As you know, it is impossible to be free onstage without working my ass off for it and you guys, more than anyone, taught/teach me to work hard!! For those of you who keep me free now, I CHOOSE to work with you because of the extraordinary examples I had early on in my work and you remind me, emotionally, artistically, spiritually of those who walked before you and I have sought you out to keep me moving in that same direction. You help me keep the saw sharpened so it can do its work!!

I miss you, think of you all the time, thank God for your firm hand and loving touch upon my work. As I realize that I am, indeed, stepping into the mentor shoes, I’m grateful and honored to walk in such strong footsteps as the path you trod before me. Some of you are troddin' it right next to me. I pray that, come January and always, my light will shine as brightly, purely and lovingly as yours did upon me. May I be a reflection of that in which I bask.

With love, love, love and thanks, thanks, thanks. Molly

No comments: