Tuesday, December 5, 2006

ever 'gainst that season comes

Green Wood Studio is entering into an exciting season: preparing for AIRE - Actors' International Retreat Experience.

Short of the wonder of the retreat week itself, this is my favorite season at the studio and this month each year finds me full of anticipation, excitement, preparation and even frustration. I am processing registrations, assigning actors their rooms, small groups, scene assignments & partners and, often, their monologues. My imagination always wanders to the actors who are coming to AIRE. Are they new to us? Are they returning alums? What is going on in their hearts, souls, minds and bodies as they prepare for this intense week? Are they nervous? Are they eager? Are they frightened? Are they thrilled?

I recently returned from an international arts festival in Tbilisi, Georgia (as in former Russia, east of Turkey, between the Caspian Sea & the Black Sea.) From all that I learned in that life-changing week, I find myself yearning for truth in the work that I do and the work that I see. The retreat participants this year can expect that I will be watching, listening, waiting and doing all that I can to help them attain a new & deeper truth in their work.

If you're not sure about registering this year's event, I hope you will consider it. Here is one quote from an actor who attended last year:

"AIRE is a must for anyone serious about the theatre. I rate the retreat as an 11 on the scale of 1 to 10."

You can read more quotes at:
http://www.greenwoodstudio.org/aire/aire_testimonials.htm

Molly Lyons

3 comments:

Norm said...

If you're serious about your craft, willing to do the work, and unopposed to having some fun in the process, you'll not find a better learning opportunity, or value for your money. The setting is sweet, the meals tasty, the staff welcoming and helpful. But it's the program that'll keep you returning year after year ('07 will be my third). The instructors are superb, the best group of teachers I've ever worked with. They're not simply knowledgeable, perceptive, humorous and fully human, they know how to teach.

Betty said...

The retreat is an experience I give myself as a gift as often as I can. As an artist in this unforgiving world at times it is easy to lose focus and lose the wonderment of the craft. I come to the retreat to stretch my creative muscles and fill my spirit with the magic of the work. Every year I have attended the retreat I have left feeling full of inspiration, with a new and renewed awareness of my craft, my instrument and my artistic self as a whole. I am absolutely nervous, excited, and blessed to have this opportunity. The retreat to me is a sacred place to nuture the artist within by working with people who have the same passion an love for this work. I come to refill my well!!!

Dan said...

Every person should attend this retreat, whether they’re an actor or not. Molly Lyons and her incomparable team of instructors not only teach us to be stronger actors but better people. Through their combined genius they encourage us to face our fears and embrace our passions. Together we strengthen our work as artists and our spirits as human beings. I recommend everyone to experience what I have had the joy of experiencing, a safe, enlightening and joyous atmosphere in which to grow, learn and laugh with people who are truly inspiring.